Oral Surgery Near You
We all do our best to take care of our teeth. Sometimes, knowing when it’s time to come in and see our dentist about receiving certain treatments is indeed one of the best things you can do for your oral health.
Depending on your unique dental case, one such procedure that our dentist may recommend is oral surgery. For more information about receiving oral surgery in Mokena, contact our local dental practice today.
What is Oral Surgery?
The full name for this type of treatment is oral and maxillofacial surgery. This term encompasses procedures that are performed to reconstruct and repair any damage that impacts the functionality of your teeth, gums, jaws, face, neck, and head. In some cases, such a process can be classified as cosmetic surgery too.
There are many other reasons why this might be necessary, including the following:
- Impacted teeth. This refers to the emergence of your wisdom teeth. When they’re erupting, they may inadvertently scrape up against or fragment your neighboring teeth.
- You’ve lost a tooth. Receiving dental implants is another common type of oral surgery, seeing as the implant screws that are used need to be directly installed into your jawbone.
- Jaw problems. Those with jaw issues typically have trouble eating and talking.
- You’ve experienced a facial injury. Facial trauma may be acquired from playing sports or accidents. This is when maxillofacial surgery comes into play.
- Periodontal (gum) disease. Oral infections, if left unaddressed, can spread to other locations in your mouth and harm your soft tissues.
Concerning your teeth specifically, oral surgery often involves the removal of teeth. The two primary types of tooth extractions are simple and complex (or surgical) extractions. A simple extraction involves taking out a tooth that is visible in your mouth.
In comparison, a complex extraction entails taking out a tooth that is below your gum line. The most well-known type of complex tooth extraction is wisdom teeth removal. After such a tooth is gone, the surgery site will need to be clean and stitched shut to stop any bleeding from occurring, and so that your mouth can heal properly.
To learn more about oral surgery near you, don’t be afraid to book a consultation with our dental surgeon near you. They’ll be able to walk you through the process from beginning to end and answer any questions you have. Furthermore, they’ll also be able to identify whether this treatment is the correct course of action for your unique dental situation.
Receiving Oral Surgery From Axion Dental Care
When you come in for dental surgery, our local oral surgeons near you will begin the appointment by conducting a thorough evaluation of your mouth. They’ll most likely take a series of dental x-rays too to build a detailed image of your oral health.
Once that’s done, our dentist will provide you with local anesthesia, typically in the form of an injection. This will help keep you relaxed and comfortable while they tend to your tooth. Dental forceps are utilized to rock your tooth free from its socket and detach it completely from your jaw. After the tooth is out, our dentist will wash and then fully seal the site so that plaque and bacteria cannot amalgamate there.
Are you looking to receive oral surgery in Mokena? At Axion Dental, our dental surgeons are highly capable and will take care of your every step of the way. So, call, come in, or head on over to our website to schedule an appointment today!